Kelowna Homelessness Research Collaborative: A Research Symposium
The Kelowna Homelessness Research Collaborative (KHRC) will be hosting a two-day Research Symposium to present ongoing projects to understand and address homelessness in Kelowna, as well as to present opportunities for partnerships moving forward! Dates remain tentative as we monitor public health measures related to COVID-19.
Tentative date: Fall 2021
Using Allyship to Enhance your Research Process with Marginalized Populations (May 2021)
- May 4th: Dr. Kyleen Myrah, Kerry Rempel and Stephanie Laing detailed their consultations with lived experience co-researchers and advisors on how to conduct authentic, ethical and community-engaged research with marginalized populations. This presentation was a part of Okanagan College’s fourth annual Research Innovation Partnerships Expo (RIPE).
- May 13th: Dr. Kyleen Myrah and Stephanie Laing presented their findings at the Enactus Canada National Exposition, as part of the Faculty Advisor Research Fund Presentations sponsored by the John Dobson Foundation: VIDEO LINK, 54m 51s
The complex connections between homelessness and health inequities in BC (January 26, 2021)
- Bringing together diverse voices, including researchers and community advocates, to discuss the intersectionality of homelessness and health inequities, and share what we all can do to help. The featured speakers included KHRC’s Dr. John Graham as moderator and Dr. Silvina Mema presenting.
- YouTube Link
- Alumni UBC lists resources shared during the webinar
Heads Up! Community Mental Health Virtual Summit – Session 3: Exploring Integrated Solutions for Substance Use & Homelessness (Thursday November 26th, 2020)
- KHRC’s Dr. John Graham joined Wendy Stevens (Peer Operations Coordinator, Vancouver Coastal Health) in a discussion of Housing for All: Pioneering a Coordinated & Accessible System of Care (~2:17:41 in video linked below)
- YouTube Link
Homelessness Vulnerabilities and Potential Mitigating Supports — Phase 3: Establishing Research Opportunities (October 20, 2020)
- Phase Three brought together both researchers and potential sector partners to (1) present our research findings from Phases One and Two and (2) collaboratively identify future research projects that are relevant and responsive to the local community needs. See Resources for our Report from these findings.
Panel discussion: Social housing and homelessness (October 1, 2019)
- David Saltman of the Okanagan Sustainability Leadership Council will moderate a panel discussion on social housing and homelessness.
- Luke Stack, City Councillor, Kelowna
- Gordon Lovegrove, UBC Okanagan, School of Engineering
- Ken Chau, UBC Okanagan, School of Engineering
- Kyleen Myrah, Okanagan College, School of Business
- John Graham, UBC Okanagan, School of Social Work
Panel discussion on sustainability focusing on Indigenous and green housing (October 1, 2019)
- After opening remarks by Mayor Colin Basran, UBCO Associate Professor Kevin Hanna, will moderate a panel discussion on sustainability focusing on Indigenous and green housing.
- John Bass, UBC Vancouver, School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture
- Jaimie Harris, Heiltsuk Nation
- Brian Rippy, Okanagan College, Sustainable Construction Technology
- Trevor Butler, Archineers
Canada’s National Housing Strategy: What it means for homeownership, renting and homelessness (September 30, 2019)
- Keynote speaker David Hulchanski, professor of housing and community development at the University of Toronto, will discuss Canada’s National Housing Strategy. He will cover the strategy in detail, including how it affects homeownership, renting and homelessness.
Social Policy and Advocacy Committee Roundtable on Canada’s National Housing Crisis at the CASWE-ACFTS Annual Conference at the Congress by the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences (June 4, 2019)
- John Graham and Stephanie Laing present on the Kelowna Homelessness Research Collaborative.